As a leading nonprofit for strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y believes that all people should be able to live life to its fullest, healthiest potential. In the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program a trained lifestyle coach will introduce topics in a supportive, small group environment and encourage participants as they explore how healthy eating, physical activity and behavior changes can benefit their health. The purpose of the program is to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes for those who are at risk of developing the disease.
How it works:
- The 12-month group-based program consists of 16 one-hour, weekly sessions, followed by monthly sessions led by a trained lifestyle coach who facilitates a small group of people with similar goals.
- Discuss topics such as healthy eating, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, problem solving, and much more.
- Stay motivated to maintain progress towards program goals with monthly maintenance sessions.
- Lose 7% of your body weight
- Gradually increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week
Know your risk, download the Risk Assement Form here.
Can I participate in this program? Download the form to find out here.
For more information, to see if you qualify and to enroll in this program contact Brittany Tripp at 462-4185 ext. 350, email: firstname.lastname@example.org