Dear Valued Y Member,
We deeply appreciate your understanding and patience as we navigate the challenging circumstances related to this pandemic.
At the Valparaiso Family YMCA, everything we do is guided by our commitment to support our community, and this is even more critical now. When you belong to the Y, you are not only a member of a health and wellness facility, you are a member of a charitable organization dedicated to strengthening our community. In difficult times, the Y pivots in response to community needs and finds ways to use our resources to offer solutions – and you can help.
More than ever your membership helps support our efforts to meet the critical needs in our community during this pandemic. Though we remain closed, we are pivoting to support our partners, first responders, and critical staff on the front line. Our childcare remained open, as compliant with state guidelines, to serve the medical community who were in need of emergency childcare. And, we are creating virtual healthy living content to keep the community active and engaged while at home. We are also financially supporting our hundreds of staff during this difficult time to lessen the impact on these individuals, their families and the economy. We are hosting a blood drive with the American Red Cross on April 1 from 1:00-6:00 p.m. in our parking lot. And, we are taking advantage of this time to complete deep cleaning and annual maintenance tasks now, so that we can forgo our Annual 10 Day Shutdown in August.
Stay with Us – Your YMCA Membership Options
The Y has always served those most in need, but we can’t do it alone. We ask you to stay with us and keep your membership. Not as a facility user or as a consumer, but, like your other charitable or religious organizations, as a cause-driven member. Being a Y member means that you are a part of a cause-driven organization that is committed to making a difference in our community.
Beginning with the April 15 membership draft, you have the following options:
- We respectfully ask that you consider keeping your membership active during this time, so that we can remain fully focused on our efforts to help our community stay strong in spirit, mind and body. Should you choose to keep your membership active, please know how deeply grateful we are for your generosity. No further action is required. As a thank you, if permitted under charitable donation laws, your membership may qualify as a charitable gift during the time that we are closed. We will provide you with a letter acknowledging this accommodation during this pandemic.
- We also understand that you may have financial obligations; and naturally, we will place your membership on hold at no cost during this time should you wish to do so. As soon as our Y reopens, your membership will automatically resume. Of course, no Joining Fee would be required. If you would like to place your membership on hold, please contact our Membership Staff Team at email@example.com or (219) 462-4185, ext. 244. Please be patient as we address a large influx of inquiries.
In order to ensure that we are able to process your request in time for our April membership draft, we appreciate that you contact us by April 7th. If you run into difficulty after that date, please contact us directly and we will be happy to work with you to find a solution.
It goes without saying that the Coronavirus has created enormous uncertainty. However, how we respond is within our control. You play a vital role in helping us deploy these services and serve our community by continuing your membership.
You also have the opportunity to make a donation to the Y at www.valpoymca.org for this critical community work. We invite you to support each other and your community, and we offer our deepest thanks for your gift.
Together, we will come through this pandemic stronger than ever. We wish you and your family good health. Thank you for being a part of the Y family.
Yours in service,
Robert A. Wanek
Stay Connected - Get Text Message Updates
SIGN UP FOR TEXT ALERTS
Staying in touch has never been easier. With our new text alerts, you'll be the first to know when there are changes to operations, emergency alerts, and more. We promise to only use this for significant information.
To opt in, visit your online account and manage your preferences.
- SIGN IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- If you've already set up your online account, simply sign in and manage your preferences.
- SET UP MY ONLINE ACCOUNT
- If you haven't already used your online account, use this link to begin using the online portal.
Once you've successfully logged in, you will see your profile. After that:
- Under your picture and name, click the "edit pencil" next your address
- Once the pop-up open, scroll down to "Primary Phone" to enter your cell phone number
- Now click "YES, I want to opt-in" & click "Submit"
Once you receive your confirmation text, be sure to add us to your contacts!
Virtual Class Offerings
We are so excited to offer some of your favorite in-person classes online! Join us now from the comfort of home! We will be adding more classes as frequently as we can, for all ages and abilities!
Click HERE to watch now!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What about my membership dues?
We understand that this is a question some have on their minds and we want to provide as much information as possible. While our doors may be closed for general healthy living activities, we are still hard at work serving our community. We also are taking care of deep cleaning and annual maintenance tasks NOW so that we can forgo our Annual 10 Day Shutdown in August and remain open the rest of the year. We ask that you take these factors into consideration when considering your membership dues.
However, if you feel that you have financial hardship or want to learn more about what options may be available to you regarding your membership, we understand. Please reach out to our Membership Staff Team to discuss at: 219-462-4185 x244 or via firstname.lastname@example.org
2. I (or my family member) was participating in a paid program when the Y closed, now what?
Those who were enrolled in a paid program that was closed during the COVID-19 response will be automatically credited the value of the outstanding classes to their YMCA account to be used for future programming or purchases.
3. What is the Y doing to help my family continue our healthy living routine while practicing Social Distancing?
We know that being well, especially in difficult times is of the utmost importance. Therefore, we will be rolling out virtual exercise classes with your favorite Valparaiso Family YMCA instructors very soon! Classes will include options for all levels, from children to older adults. Further, we will be releasing child enrichment activities, nutrition information, and more. Please stay tuned to our social media, website, and YouTube channel for releases.
4. How are you taking care of your employees during this closure?
Our staff are the heart and soul of our organization and we value them immensely. We are continuing to financially support staff during this time, even if they are not able to work. Your support through active membership and donations help us to accomplish these efforts.
5. How can I help my Y community during this time of need?
We ask that you please follow all CDC recommended actions regarding keeping our entire community healthy. Further, keeping your membership active helps us to continue supporting our staff and maintaining our facilities to be ready upon re-open. Finally, if you would like to donate to further support the Y and delivering our mission, please visit our DONATE page.
6. When will the Y re-open?
We realize that this is an unprecedented situation, with changes that occur hour by hour. We will continue to stay closely tuned into and aligned with governmental safety & health recommendations, guidelines, and mandates. Because of the fluid nature of the pandemic, we are unable to set a concrete date to re-open. Once we determine a date, we will be sure to communicate via all of our channels; website, social media, and text/email.
What Can I Do to Help?
As recently stated by our United States Surgeon General, "Social distancing does not have to mean social disengagement". Though we may not be able to physically stay connected at this time, there are still important and impactful ways to contribute!
- GIVE BLOOD: Right now, across the country, blood drives are being canceled at an alarming rate, leaving supplies low to help care for those facing a medical crisis. We hope that you will consider donating blood at our American Red Cross Blood Drive on April 1st from 1:00-6:00pm or at another local blood drive. Sign-up to donate blood HERE.
- JOIN TOGETHERHOOD: Participating in the Togetherhood™ program gives you the chance to activate your social responsibility by helping our neighbors receive the support they need to feel healthy, connected and secure. Plus, contributing your time and talents for the good of others can enhance your own well-being! Learn how to join our TOGETHERHOOD program HERE.
- DONATE: Before this crisis, 2 out of 5 households in the Valparaiso area were just one paycheck away from financial hardship or living under the poverty line. Financial assistance at the Y has been and will continue to be available to help our neighbors in need upon our re-open. Please considering giving today to help our community enjoy a stronger tomorrow! DONATE NOW.