RINGING IN SPRING 5K | Saturday, April 3rd, 2021
Race the Region and Gold Cup Elite Series event
The Valparaiso Family YMCA is proud to present the 2021 Ringing in Spring 5k Run/Walk! Start your year off on the right foot by kicking off the running season with the NWI's largest spring-time race for 25+ years.
This year, we hope you will join us in our theme of "Let's Raise... Courage" as we raise proceeds to support the mission of the Y through initiatives such as our Income-Based Scholarship program. Be a hero by participating in our event to help support those in need - through scholarships for membership, programs, and childcare! To show off your courageous spirit, we invite you to dress up on race day as your favorite superhero!
Registration for Ringing in Spring 5k 2021
100% of proceeds benefit the Valparaiso Family YMCA's Annual Campaign, which serves our community through scholarships for membership, programming, and childcare so that every family and child has the opportunity to be live life to the fullest. Ringing in Spring is a 2021 Race the Region and Gold Cup Elite Series event.
- Fee: $35
- Long-Sleeve Wicking Shirt: Guaranteed with Registration thru March 7th, 2021
- Start Time: Rolling Starts to begin between 7:00am - 9:00am for social distancing & crowd control
- Chip Timing: Automatically included on your race bib through T&H Timing
- Costumes Encouraged: Help us celebrate our theme of "Let's Raise Courage". Show off your courageous spirit by dressing as your favorite superhero on race day. Small prizes for best dressed!
- Registration Ends: Friday, April 2nd at 11:59pm. NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION
- Packet Pick-Up: Available at Extra Mile Fitenss Co. on April 1st & 2nd from 10:00am - 6:00pm at 1220 E. Lincolnway, Valparaiso IN 46383. NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK-UP except for out-of-state participants.
2021 RACE SHIRT
Locations | Packet Pick-Up + Race Day
RACE DAY, APRIL 3RD
VALPARAISO FAMILY YMCA
1201 Cumberland Crossing
Valparaiso IN 46383
Directions: From Calumet, turn into the YMCA parking area at the stoplight with the Diary Queen and Burger King.
PACKET PICK-UP, APRIL 1ST & 2ND
EXTRA MILE FITNESS
1330 E. Lincolnway
Valparaiso IN 46383
Directions: Located on the south side of Lincolnway just north of Valparaiso University. From Highway 30, turn north at Sturdy Road (look for the Speedway gas station). Make a 3/4 turn at the roundabout onto Lincolnway.
This route is different than previous year’s courses in order to create ideal circumstances for social distancing throughout entire duration of the race. Begin and finish near the YMCA Pavilion on Cumberland Drive.
5K Course description:
- Residential area
- Some hills in second mile, 20-30 feet high
- Start and finish near YMCA Pavilion on Cumberland Dr
Hazards: The course may have hazards including cars, slippery or uneven surfaces, potholes, debris, traffic control devices, and other dangers encountered in road races. For your safety, please be careful and remain alert.
Prohibited items: This is a big race, so please don't bring shoes with wheels, bikes, or dogs. For an accommodation in case of disability, please contact us in advance. Participants using music players are asked to keep the volume low enough to be able to hear course marshals and nearby participants to reduce the risk of injury to themselves or others.
Medical professionals: will be on call at the fire station on Cumberland Drive. Volunteer course marshals will be stationed at road crossings, subject to availability. In case of emergency, call 911 and immediately notify race or YMCA officials.
For users of GPS watches from USATF: "Race courses are measured along a well-defined path called the SPR—the Shortest Possible Route that a runner can possibly run. Most runners don’t actually run the SPR, so the distance recorded by their GPS device will usually be longer than the certified length of the course, even though the course was properly measured along the SPR according to USATF rules." For details of our SPR, see our certification maps on the "detailed map" links above.
Ringing in Spring Child Care
The YMCA offers complimentary child care while you are participating in our Ringing in Spring event!
To help provide quality care, each child must be preregistered, one form per child. Registration for complimentary childcare begins February 1st, 2021.
- Children will be assigned various rooms in the YMCA's child care area depending on their age (min. 6 weeks).
- Please pick-up your child as soon as possible after the race.
- Child care pre-registration will be accepted until capacity is reached.
Click the Register button and go to "Special Events" to register for RIS Child Care.
Custom Long Sleeve Wicking Shirt — $10.00 ea. Sign-Up before March 7th to guarantee size and availability!
Tracking and Results
Via on-the-bib chip timing and instant results on your smartphone. Chip time determines place. Please stay away from the finish mats once you complete the event, or you may be scored multiple times.
You can sign-up to receive a text message of your results (and anyone else's) via the "Result Notification" link on Runsignup.com
Results will be posted at www.thtiming.com
2021 Ringing in Spring Sponsors | Thank You!
Our mission is made possible by and through generous sponsors and community partners. Thank you to our 2021 Ringing in Spring Sponsors!
Training Program Partnership | EXMI Fitness Co.
Did you know that your Valparaiso Family YMCA and Extra Mile Fitness Co have teamed up this year to help you prepare for Ringing in Spring 2021? If you're looking for support from certified and experienced running coaches to help you get safely to race day, look no further! Extra Mile Fitness Co. is hosting a Spring Training 5K program that includes:
- Expert coaching for a first-time runner or a seasoned athlete
- Weekly group runs
- Support and detailed training program
- Ringing in Spring race entry included in training program fees
Sponsor | Volunteer | Donate
Sponsoring or donating to a Y Event provides so much more than financial support. Our events are one piece of the bigger cause – strengthening the foundations of our community by developing successful youth, engaging people in healthy living and instilling a commitment to social responsibility.
Interested in being a Sponsor?
Contact Jodi Jackson, Associate Director of Events & Stewardship | 219.462.4185 ext 233 | email@example.com
In Memory of Bill Pauley
This year Ringing in Spring is being run with an additional feature; a memorial to a long time Y member, Bill Pauley. Just as he was inspired by others at the YMCA when he first started to run, he paid it forward. Bill inspired many to run, swim, compete in 5K’s, triathlons, and marathons. He enjoyed helping others wherever and whenever he could. In addition, he was a great father, grandfather, great grandfather and husband. Bill was married to his wife Barb for nearly 65 years. We will miss him around Valparaiso and especially the YMCA.
- Donate to the Y on behalf of Bill Pauley HERE
- Purchase a Ringing in Spring Shirt in memory of Bill Pauley HERE
- Register to run for Ringing in Spring with other friends and family in his memory. Bill’s “fan club” will be running together leaving in the 7:50 a.m. corral. Sign Up HERE