Please be assured that your safety - and the safety of all our members, program participants, staff and volunteers - is our number one priority. We’re following guidelines from health experts and local officials to ensure that our facilities meet the highest standards for hygiene and safety, and we have modified our policies and programs to facilitate safe physical/social distancing practices.
We invite you to join us! We’re here to help you focus on what matters most: your health, your family and friends, and your community. We hope you will join us in whatever manner you are most comfortable – whether virtually thought the platfroms listed below or in person.
Current Restrictions | Updated 12.5.2020
Effective 2/1/21, the following restrictions will additionally apply at our YMCA:
- Building-Wide Restrictions
- Strict adherence to masking, a face covering over both nose and mouth, is required at ALL times unless:
- Actively engaged in exercise
- Eating or drinking
- An individual qualifies for an exemption, defined by Governor Holcomb's executive order here: MASK MANDATE
- If you qualify for a defined exemption, you must stop and notify the Courtesy Desk.
- Masking is specifically required, though not limited to; entrance of the facility, while walking through hallways, using restrooms/locker rooms, sitting at tables and not engaged in eating or drinking, and up until the point engaging in active exercise.
- Failure to adhere to masking requirements may result in:
- Being stopped by staff and provided a verbal warning
- Being asked to leave the facility for the day
- And in repetitive instances, suspension/termination of membership
- Please join us in working together to abide by all restrictions so that our YMCA can remain a safe and healthy environment for all!
- Strict adherence to masking, a face covering over both nose and mouth, is required at ALL times unless:
- Wellness Center Restrictions
- Social distancing must be adhered to at all times, keeping a distance of 6ft between yourself and others
- Equipment will be marked off from use to facilitate social distancing of machines
- Sanitization of all touched surfaces remains in effect after utilizing equipment
- Masking during extended periods of rest and when leaving the Wellness Center is also required
- Group Exercise Restrictions
- All group exercise classes will be limited to accomodate distancing, and also not to exceed 50 persons in total
- All group exercise classes will continue to be socially distanced, using spaced markings on the floor in each studio
- All class participants are required to remain masked until active exercise begins and then to re-mask as soon as class is over and to leave the studio
- All group exercise classes will continue to require a reservation via the Mind Body app to guarantee a socially distanced spot in class
- Sports Leagues & Games
- All practices, games, and sports leagues attendance continues to be limited to only participants, coaches/staff, parents, and siblings
- Those who are not actively engaged in exercise are required to remain masked at all times
- Parents and siblings spectating must remain socially distanced from others
- Pools & Spa Amenities
- All patrons are required to remain masked on pool decks, while not actively engaged in swimming activities
- Whirlpool/Steam Room/Sauna will have a capacity limit of no more than 3 persons at any time to accommodate strict adherence to social distancing
- Benches and seating will remain marked off and spread apart to accommodate social distancing
- Lockers & Locker Rooms
- Masking is required at all times while at a locker or within a locker room
- Lockers will be marked off and closed to accommodate social distancing
Face Mask Policy
Safe Visit Checklist | Know Before You Come
As we welcome the community back to the Y, we want to assure you that safety remains our top priority. We have taken all necessary steps to ensure the safety of our members, program participants, volunteers and staff. When you come back to the Y, this is what you can expect:
- Masks will continue to be required while visiting unless you are engaging in exercise, eating & drinking, or utilizing an aquatic area.
- Members should not visit when they are sick or displaying any symptoms of contagious illness. Members should be symptom and fever free for at least 72 hours before returning.
- If members are known to be exposed to COVID19 or known to have the virus, all CDC guidelines should be adhered to before returning to the Y. Please visit the CDC Website for exact guidance. Please see our "Disease Transmission Prevention" section for more details.
- State-wide reciprocity, Buddy Passes, and Guest Passes will resume on Monday, August 24th at our location only, other locations may not apply.
- Limit the number of items you bring in with you to reduce potential cross contamination. Be prepared to sanitize lockers before and after use, if you need to bring items.
- All members will be required to sanitize equipment after use. Our staff will also be enhancing all cleaning routines to wipe down touch points frequently throughout the day.
- All members and staff will need to practice social distacing whenever possible, please keep 6 ft of distance from others around you.
Virtual Membership Offerings
Taking care of our health is more important now than ever before. We’re here to help you stay active and healthy and improve your well-being in spirit, mind and body, whether in person in our clean, sanitary facilities, or through our virtual programs. No matter what your age, interests or abilities, we can help you meet your personal health goals – safely. Learn more about our upcoming health and wellness offerings:
On-Demand, Pre-Recorded Exercise Classes: Click HERE to watch on-demand YouTube classes at any time - whenever is convenient for you!
LIVE Virtual Exercise Classes: Find ZOOM IDs to join on our Group Exercise Schedule to participate in your favorite classes and see your favorite faces in real time!
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
1. What measures is the Y taking to protect the safety & health of members, staff, and volunteers?
As we welcome the community back to the Y, we want to assure you that safety remains our top priority. We have taken all the necessary steps to ensure the safety of our members, program participants, volunteers and staff. We are aligning ourselves closely with Governor Holcomb's "Back on Track" Indiana Plan guidance. When you come back to the Y, here are some of the things you can expect:
- All staff are required to follow the governor’s mask mandate while working.
- All children in Child Watch, Child Care, Summer Camp and other care programs will be required to have a temperature check daily before entering care.
- All members who are currently sick, or have been ill in the last 72 hours will refrain from visiting the Y.
- If members are known to be exposed to COVID19 or known to have the virus, all CDC guidelines should be adhered to before returning to the Y. Please visit the CDC Website for exact guidance. Please also visit our "Disease Transmission Prevention" section for more details.
- Sanitization stations will be available throughout the building for easy access and usage.
- All members are required to wipe down equipment after use.
- Increased cleaning will take place throughout the building, multiple times daily, including overnight cleaning.
- Increased ventilation throughout the building to reduce stagnant air
- Sneeze guards and social distancing markers for all close proximity customer service interactions
2. What restrictions should I know about before visiting the Y?
Ensuring the health and safety of our Y community is everyone’s responsibility and we’ve made adjustments within our facility and to our guidelines for use. We are asking all members and program participants to follow these updated policies and restrictions. Please be sure to check out our "Safe Visit Checklist, Know Before You Come" section above to ensure you have a successful visit to the Y.
3. What Membership Options are available to me? I'm not comfortable coming back yet/I have a financial hardship/I am in a Vulnerable Population/I have another concern...
We invite you to join us in whatever manner you are most comfortable – whether virtually through our Virtual Membership Offerings or at our facility when we reopen. We’re here to help you focus on what matters most: your health, your family and friends, and your community. However, we also understand that you may not be comfortable coming back right away or may have a financial hardship. We are here to help you, please reach out to us so we can guide you.
- EMAIL US
- CALL US: 219-462-4185 x244
4. Can I bring a guest, buddy, my friend who is a member at another area YMCA?
State-wide reciprocity, Buddy Passes, and Guest Passes will resume on Monday, August 24th at our location only, other locations may not apply.
5. How can I continue to help my Y community during this time of need?
We ask that you please follow all CDC recommended actions regarding keeping our entire community healthy. Further, you can join us as a Virtual Volunteer in our Kindness Campaign to make small differences that have big impact in our community, please visit our KINDNESS CAMPAIGN page for more details. Finally, if you would like to donate to further support the Y and delivering our mission, please visit our DONATE page.
Disease Transmission Prevention Plan | COVID19
DISEASE TRANSMISSION PREVENTION
At the Valparaiso Family YMCA, we are making every effort to keep our facilities, programs, and services as safe as possible for all those that participate. The safety and healthy of our community is of top priority. We need your partnership to help keep our community safe!
- We have enhanced our cleaning protocols to include multiple cleanings per day of each area of our building. Please help us by using the provided sanitizing wipes and spray to disinfect any equipment that you may use during your visit.
- Our staff our working hard to keep you safe by wearing masks/face shields at all times, maintaining social distance, and completing a daily health screening to ensure they are well and at their best to serve our community. Please join us by wearing a face covering when you are not actively exercising, especially while entering/exiting the building and by maintaining a good social distance from others.
- If staff are not well, they are asked to stay home and may not return to work until they are at least 72 hours symptom free. Please collaborate with us by staying home if you are ill and refrain from coming back until you are 72 hours symptom free. Further, if you do fall ill with a confirmed case of COVID-19 and have visited our Y within 48 hours of developing symptoms, please let us know so that we can perform proactive contact tracing of incidental contact and deep clean any applicable areas of our facility. All privacy will be maintained.
- Contact tracing messages (via email or letter if you do not have an email on file) will be sent to individuals who visited the YMCA during the affected time. If you have not received a message, you have not had direct or incidental contact with a known positive case individual.
What Can I Do to Help?
As recently stated by our United States Surgeon General, "Social distancing does not have to mean social disengagement". Though we may not be able to physically stay connected at this time, there are still important and impactful ways to contribute!
- BECOME A VIRTUAL VOLUNTEER: By Participating in our social media "Kindness Campaign" as a virtual volunteer, you have the chance to activate your social responsibility (with proper social distancing, of course!) by helping our neighbors receive the support they need to feel healthy, connected and secure. Plus, contributing your time and talents for the good of others can enhance your own well-being! Sign-up or learn more our Kindness Campaign program HERE.
- DONATE: Before this crisis, 2 out of 5 households in the Valparaiso area were just one paycheck away from financial hardship or living under the poverty line. Financial assistance at the Y has been and will continue to be available to help our neighbors in need upon our re-open. Please considering giving today to help our community enjoy a stronger tomorrow! DONATE NOW.